At Yourgene Health we pride ourselves in our culture and performance of our people. We live by our values and behaviours. We set annual global business goals which cascade down to departmental goals and individual employee goals to support the performance of not just the business but our employees who contribute towards our success. We are a global business with locations in Manchester, Taipei, India, Singapore and most recently the US.
An opportunity has arisen for an Automation Scientist to join the team at our Manchester site to design, implement and optimise automation processes to support the design, development verification and validation of molecular diagnostic products for prenatal screening whilst also providing automation expertise on projects, ensuring experimental work is well planned and executed to a high quality in a timely fashion.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Install, test and validate new automation systems
- Ensure that validated systems are maintained in compliance with the Quality System
- Engage with Scientists and Technicians to automate existing laboratory processes
- Establish efficient interfaces between automated instruments to enable user friendly workflows
- Design and optimise automation workflows to ensure they are compatible with test reagents and meet scientific needs and user requirements
- Enable data transfer and traceability between automation platforms and LIMS (or similar) systems
- Train other team members in the use of laboratory automation systems
- Train and support customers in the use of automation equipment and software
- Supervise junior staff using automated platforms in the laboratory
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- 5+ years of laboratory experience within an industrial setting, of which 3+ years spent in an automation scientist role or equivalent
- Experience with a range of automated liquid handlers, plate readers, automation software and equipment is essential (e.g. PerkinElmer, Beckman, Hamilton, Agilent)
- Experience with Tecan liquid handlers, in particular the EVO series, is